Protagonist (Magical Vacation)
The protagonist is the main character of Magical Vacation. They are semi-customizable, with the player choosing their gender, name, and elemental spirit at the beginning of the game. The hero is known as Mash,[a] while the heroine is known as Mallow.[b]
Party member[edit | edit source]
At the start of the game, the protagonist can be assigned one of the following spirits: fire, wind, poison, beauty, blade, sound, stone, insect, wood, beast, water, thunder, or ancient. By meeting certain criteria in Link Mode, the protagonist can obtain love magic, and eventually class change into a dark or light mage. The protagonist's assigned spirit does not affect the their stat growth.
Level 1 stats[edit | edit source]
Hero[edit | edit source]
Heroine[edit | edit source]
Max stats[edit | edit source]
These totals may vary based on stat allocation bias.
Hero[edit | edit source]
Heroine[edit | edit source]
Attacks[edit | edit source]
|Spell 1||Spell 2||Spell 3||Spell 4||Spell 5||Spell 6||Spell 7|
Special power[edit | edit source]
The protagonist's special power allows them to interact with and befriend spirits.
Profile[edit | edit source]
Personality[edit | edit source]
The protagonist's personality is meant to be represented by the player, whose thoughts shape their role in the story. Mash is described as being a taciturn, sincere, and reliable boy with a unique charm that brings people together. Mallow, on the other hand, is a favorite amongst the students, and acts as a peacekeeper for her unique and quarrelsome classmates. Both Mash and Mallow love befriending people and spirits.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Mash is a young boy with curly brown hair and teal eyes. He sports a big cream-colored hat and robe, decorated with geometric patterns and blue hems. He also wears a red neckerchief, patterned cloth beneath his jacket, a striped rope belt, purple pants with red buttons, and brown boots. In his dark clothes, Mash sports a big two-pointed hat, green robes, and purple pants accompanied by red patterns. In his light clothes, Mash dons a yellow headband with a robe along the back, as well as layers of garments colored blue, orange, and purple. His arms are equipped with gold cuffs and violet sleeves.
Mallow is a posh girl with curly blonde hair and violet eyes. She wears a large pink patterned hat with a red neckerchief, pink robe, gold bangles, blue leggings, and a pair of brown boots. In her dark clothes, Mallow wears a puffy two-pointed hat with several scarlet robes, scarlet pants, and red patterns. In her light clothes, Mallow has a yellow veiled headband, also sporting an orange overcoat, baggy teal pants, jewels, and yellow patterned shoes.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
The protagonist used to live in a village on the outskirts of Kovomaka Kingdom. Born with the power to see spirits hiding in nature, they were often spotted conversing with sticks and rocks on the wayside. However, the villagers ostracized them for this ability, growing fearful and calling them a fraud. One day, the protagonist was visited by Biscotti, a sorcerer known for bringing magic to the Kingdom. Several spirits appeared behind Biscotti, who invited the protagonist to enroll in Will-o'-Wisp Academy by promising they could meet even more spirits. On their way to Will-o'-Wisp, Biscotti told the protagonist how many of its graduates went on to serve Kovomaka Kingdom, but that was not his reason for teaching magic. Rather, he encouraged his pupils to learn everything there was to know about the world. That way, they could go anywhere their hearts desired.
- Main article: Plot summary of Magical Vacation
Return to the Kingdom[edit | edit source]
Starting element[edit | edit source]
The protagonist became a lecturer of magic at Will-o'-Wisp Academy. Instead of teaching magic for combat, they taught magic for support, reforming Will-o'-Wisp into a school suitable for Ganache and Vanilla's new era of peace.
Dark magic[edit | edit source]
In search of more powerful enemies, the protagonist spent two decades traversing the continent, leaving their footprint and legacy in over thirty countries. In time, they mastered the technique of being able to freely shift between realms. Their journey spanned across twenty realms, beginning in the Fire Realm and ending in the Wind Realm, where they passed away at the age of 87. By that time, they had earned hundreds of titles across numerous nations. Many landmarks around the world were named after them, keeping their name alive even after death.
Light magic[edit | edit source]
The protagonist set out on a journey to find a cure to the dodos' curse and enigma fusion. They traveled across many realms, fought formidable foes, and helped villagers in need, acquiring lots of knowledge along the way. One day, Candy received the protagonist's magic notebook in the mail, which journaled everything they had learned on their adventures. The notebook contained heaps of information and was kept in the academy, where it became an essential source of knowledge for wizards all over Kovomaka Kingdom. And yet, no one knew what became of the protagonist.
Other appearances[edit | edit source]
Super Smash Bros.[edit | edit source]
Super Smash Bros. Brawl stickers[edit | edit source]
The hero appears in the game as sticker #624, while the heroine appears as sticker #625. They are simply called "Boy" and "Girl". The Boy and Girl's effects are in reference to their respective stat proficiencies in Magical Vacation.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit[edit | edit source]
The protagonists appear in the game as spirit no. 1176. In their spirit battle, they are portrayed by two Villagers on the Smashville stage. The Villagers are easily distracted by elemental items that appear on the stage, in reference to the various magic elements the protagonists can be assigned.
|Magical Vacation Protagonists|
マジカルバケーションの主人公 - Spirit Battle
Magical Vacation Protagonists
|Team Power||| 3800||Rank||★★ ADVANCED|
|Stage||Smashville||Theme||"Attack - Soma Bringer"|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The names "Mash" and "Mallow" are derived from the word 'marshmallow', a confectionary made from sugar and gelatin.
- When Magical Vacation was announced for the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console, gameplay featuring the heroine presented her as a wind mage with the name Magical[c] written in hiragana.
- In early gameplay screenshots on the Brownie Brown website, the heroine was featured with the name Mayu[d] and had spoken dialogue.
- According to Kameoka, the design bases for the protagonists were Daniel (Mark Lester) and Melody (Tracy Hyde) from the 1971 film Melody. Another character from the film, Tom (Jack Wild), was used as a basis for Brown in Brownies' EGGLIA series.
- According to Magical Vacation rumors, the protagonist has parents who, unlike the villagers, believed they could see spirits.
- During development, the game was planned to pair the protagonists up as a couple, whereby the heroine would be the hero's girlfriend and vice versa. The hero was a 15-year-old named Tackle, a kindhearted boy who struggled with expressing his emotions.
- When naming the protagonist in the Japanese version, pressing Select displays the hiragana and katakana characters in the font used for Latte and the pyrites' dialogue.
Notes[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Magical Vacation
- Magical Vacation Complete Guide, pg. 167
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Nintendo 公式チャンネル (August 18, 2015). "マジカルバケーション プレイ映像". YouTube. Retrieved December 21, 2022.
- "マーク・レスターがモデルと言っても「小さな恋のメロディ」の時のマーク・レスター。一応マロウもメロディ役のトレイシー・ハイドのイメージでデザイン。ちなみにエグリアのブラウンはマーク・レスターの友人役だったジャック・ワイルドがモデル。" @ShintaKameoka on Twitter, December 30, 2017. Retrieved May 29, 2023.